Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rye Bread with Sunflower and Caraway Seeds

I have been trying to spruce up the (yummy) but kind of plain bread recipe I have posted on here. I wanted something a bit heartier and not so.....white....and plain.

I ended up adjusting the recipe as follows:
substitute 1 c. flour for 1 c. rye flour.
added about 2-3 tbsp caraway seeds (can be more/less to your liking)
and then tossing in about 2 handfuls of unsalted plain sunflower seeds

The results were amazing. The bread reminded me so much of the bread my Opa used to make when I lived in Germany. Also, if you have not used rye or wheat flour in your baking before, don't make the mistake of substituting the entire amount of flour for all rye/wheat flour. Your dough will be impossible to work with, and I think you need the gluten that is in regular white flour for everything to rise correctly. You can't quote me on that, but it is just one of those things that seems like the right explanation to me in my head.

I didn't get a chance to grab any photos of this bread, since it somehow magically disappeared very, very quickly. But I am sure to make another batch soon.

Tomorrows experiment to come: herbed foccacia! I am making the poolish for it now, and have decided to let it sit overnight. Then tomorrow, the long processes of folding, resting, and repeating many time will take place. Wish me luck!

No comments: