Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vegan Fettucini Alfredo Rosa

Once in a while, I will get a craving for something way back when from my teenage years (prevegan) that I simply must make. That day. As soon as I get home. Well yesterday, I got hit by a need to make a creamy alfredo sauce with pasta that included tomatoes and artichokes. After work, I went directly to the store to get all the things I needed. Yes, I was that motivated to make this a reality. So, I came up with this recipe and it is pretty darn good I must say!

Here is what you need:

I medium onion - diced
2 tomatoes - diced
5-6 cloves of garlic (adjust to your taste)
1 c. roughly chopped artichokes
2 c. unsweeted soy milk
1/2 c. water
1/3 - 1/2 tub tofutti (i used chive/herb kind)
olive oil
2 tbsp. flour
2 1/2 tsp. Braggs liquid aminos
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
salt/pepper/herbs to taste
nutmeg optional

I started with cooking down the diced onions is some olive oil, and let them soften while I chopped my tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the onion, and begin to chop up the garlic. Add to onions and tomatoes. Season with a bit of salt/pepper.

While this cooks down and simmers (i let mine stay on medium low), start making the sauce. Begin by making a roux for the sauce. Add about 3 tbsp. of oil to your pan. After it gets a bit warm, add the 2 tbsp flour and mix it up with the oil. You should get a nice creamy paste almost, this method helps in preventing yucky flour clumps in your sauce.

Add the 2 c. unsweetened soy milk and stir to desolve your roux. This might take a few minutes. You should also notice your soy milk start to thicken up a bit too. Add the tofutti, begin by adding about 1/3 of a tub and stir into the sauce. Keep adding the tofutti until the sauce reaches a thickness in consistancy that you like.

Add your onion/tomato/garlic mixture to your sauce. Season with salt, pepper, herbs and add 1/2 c. water and 2 1/2 tsp of Braggs to your sauce. Let this simmer together while you give your artichokes a rough chop. I bought ones that were quartered already, and just roughly cut them into more managable bit size pieces. Add to sauce.

I added a small sprinkling of netmeg over my sauce, and I also had some Vegan Parm, which I sprinkled over the sauce as well.

This makes enough sauce, maybe more for about an entire 16 oz box of fettucini pasta.

Eat and Enjoy! I apologize for the slightly drab photo, I was just so hungry at this point, I wanted to eat and not add any styling to the photo.

Thanks, and happy cooking!

2 comments:

VeggieLibrarian said...

Oh this looks so, so good! I am a vegetarian, but will always go vegan when I can. Hardest thing for me to part with is the dairy stuff, alfredo sauces and cheese and that ilk. But this looks so good. I would never have thought of using Tofutti - brilliant! Thanks for coming up with this one!

SandyBrie said...

This looks amazing.... I will be trying soon!